Saturday, February 2, 2013

By the numbers...

I am a very happy girl today. Why? Well, the sun is shining, my dogs woke me up with their tails wagging, the horses greeted me with loud whinnies, and, oh yeah, this happened:


I know that is basically impossible to see, but what it says is that I am the 98th ranked author in historical romance on Amazon! Yes, yes, I know it isn't really that cool or impressive, but I am still pretty excited about it because it means people are actually buying my books, but more importantly than that they are reading my books... And THAT is really cool. 

I've said before that I don't write for the money (although it would be nice to be able to support myself through my writing, I am very secure with my full time job and have no plans on leaving anytime soon) but it is fun to track the numbers. If you self pub like me, that's part of the game. You need to have an idea of your daily and weekly average sales. If those numbers go down, you need to try to figure out what you did. If they go up, you need to know why as well. I have heard other authors say it's like running a small business, and that is completely true... Complete with taxes, which I will now have to be sending in quarterly. Yeck. 

I'm sure I will be back down in the ranks tomorrow, but for one day at least I got to be in the top 100. How awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment