Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Where I shamelessly brag, just a teensy weensy little bit.

The dictionary defines mediocre as:

me·di·o·cre

   [mee-dee-oh-ker]  
adjective
1.Of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: The car gets onlymediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive. 

For the majority of my life, that word has more or less defined me in a nutshell. In school I was a solid B student. I never failed anything (except Algebra 2 – thanks Mr. Given) and I was never in trouble, but I never really stood out either. Don’t get me wrong. I did stuff. I participated. I was on the x-country team, played basketball, was in band and chorus, a member of the foreign language club, prom committee, and let’s not forget vice-president of the national honor society (how that happened I still don’t have a clue). But I didn’t excel. I wasn’t notable. I was, for all intensive purposes “barely adequate”.

I’ve never known what it feels like to be the best at something. And I still don’t, but this morning I woke up and checked my newest release on Amazon and I got to feel pretty damn close.

This is the part where I brag a little bit. Yes, I know it’s rude and obnoxious. Yes, I apologize in advance. But I’m going to do it anyways, because I worked hard and because it may never happen again and because, well, because I want to.


So here we go.


See that? That's my book! The Spinster and the Duke. My plucky little novella that I never really thought anyone would like. See those words? The ones in bold? The ones that say Amazon Best Sellers Rank? #911, baby. And below that, my new two favorite numbers. 

Good ol' number 10 and 11. 

Yeah, I know. It's not #1 (like that would ever happen) and it's not the New York Times bestseller list and it's really not even all that important or notable in the grand scheme of things. But it feels important and notable to ME, because for the first time I can say I'm not mediocre at something. Achieving the 11th best selling book in Regency Romance isn't "commonplace" or "pedestrian". It's awesome. Well, at least it feels awesome. 

That's it. That's all I really have to say. In a few hours the rankings will change and I'll most likely drop back down, but for this one moment in time, for this one screenshot, I get to feel excited. So in the words of the infamous Carrie Bradshaw: 

No comments:

Post a Comment